May 27, 2008

Who is benefitting from my salvation, me or God?

I was reading from Job recently and came upon several verses that caught my attention. Job 21:14 Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways.15 What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him? This is describing how the wicked feel about God. Have you ever been witnessing and someone asks you why they should serve God. They want to know what he is going to do for them. It made me wonder; in what ways do I benefit from my relationship with the Lord. I know that isn't the right attitude to have towards the Lord, but thinking realistically, I have greatly benefitted from the relationship.
He has come to save us from death and the tormentor. He has come to give us joy. I love it when I am experiencing the full joy of the lord! Even when things are hard, there is joy if we are continually letting our minds dwell on his goodness. James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations-why?- knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that me may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. We know that even when we are in hard trials or temptations, he is doing it for our good.
He brings hope in sorrow. I loved hearing people talk about Ida after her death. They weren't in despair. Why? because they knew that even though Ida meant so much to them, she meant even more to God, and he had taken her home. Home to a place where there will be no more crying, no more dying, no more aches and pains, and no more sin. Only the presence of her all-powerful savior.
He takes away the burden of life.....if we let him. He told us to take his yoke for it is light. I just recently got finished with school which means I needed to be evaluated. I hate being evaluated. I got so busy and so caught up in getting things ready that I felt like life was a burden that was meant for a man with much bigger shoulders... It was, the God man. I once again needed to change my focus. God tells us not to worry about the clothes that we will wear or the food we will eat. I can imagine God standing there looking at me struggling to carry this impossible weight. “Will you let me carry that for you? It was meant for me not you.” But no I keep on carrying it for a while until I am so tired I fall upon my knees. “Please take this burden off my shoulders Lord, I can't carry it.” Without ever scolding or saying “I told you so” He reaches down and takes it off my back and places it on his own. He helps me up and starts to lead me in his perfect way. You all can pray for me that I would remember to let God lead my life. I didn't get this on the prayer list so I will put it on here. Please pray that I would remember why I am serving at camp this summer. It is so easy for me to get caught up thinking about the fun time I will have that I forget why I am going there, to serve.
Greg

1 comment:

Sigma said...

Thank-you SO much for this post. I was really struggling with something last night and was fighting to do things my own way, despite what my conscience was saying and despite how miserable I was. Then I got on the blog and read your post...when I got to the end of it where you were talking about trying to carry the impossible weight until you are so tired you just have to fall on your knees, I seriously felt like you were preaching right at me...In a way, maybe you were...sometimes, that is just how God works. Anyways, all that is to say that I finally went to God and asked Him for forgiveness for my pride and selfishness and surrendered everything back over to Him. And He did just what you said He'd do. (and as He always does!) He forgave me and helped me back up and filled my heart with peace. We serve such an awesome God!

Thanks for the encouragement,
Chrystal