May 19, 2008

A lesson from David

I was reading in Psalms recently and was struck again with the wide range of emotions David went through. He goes from being ecstatic to being depressed to being miserable with himself to being awed by God's greatness. Sometimes he's even downright mad and impatient, asking God to strike his enemies and avenge him. However, through all these changing feelings, one theme remains constant: David's faith in God. No matter what David was feeling at the time, all his psalms reflect his faith that God would take care of him no matter what. Personally, I was glad to see this. It was encouraging to be reminded that even David, a man who was so close to God that he was called a man after God's own heart, did not always feel like God was close. However, even when he didn't FEEL like trusting God, he always KNEW that God was trustworthy. It was not what he felt that was important, after all feelings are fickle, but it was what he knew that got him through the tough times. He knew that God took care of him in the past, and he had the faith to believe that God would do the same in the future. After pastor's sermon on Heb. 11 about faith, it reminded me that faith doesn't have much to do with what I feel but what I know. How many times does God have to prove Himself before we will trust Him? Looking back on God's record, I know that He has never let me or anybody else down, so why should He start now? Be careful about feelings. Feelings are wonderful things and God uses them, but they are not a firm foundation for faith.

Psalm 77:7-11. Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more? Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore? Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah. And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.

Mike

2 comments:

Sigma said...

thanks. That helped more than you will ever know...

Sigma said...

I love Psalms for many of those same reasons. It always encourages me how... human David is.
That is SO true about the ficklness of feelings though. There are so many times when i dont "feel" faithful.
Thanks for posting, it was really encourging.
Kristin