April 22, 2008

True Revival

I don’t know about you but generally when I am doing school I don’t learn/get spiritual applications from it. So I was amazed that I actually learned something spiritual in British Literature this morning! Now I confess, while I LOVE reading, English in general is not my favorite subject (I prefer the sciences), so while I was reading literature, I wasn’t exactly too excited about it, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

I am reading excerpts from John Wesley's journal and the first heading was "True Revival". Honestly, to start I didn’t really think about the topic, but the more I read the more it reminded me of situations in life today.
Wesley tells the story of a town in southern England that was notorious for its wickedness. Everything there was filled with drunkenness, blasphemy, and uncleanness, kind of like a modern day Las Vegas. Many people said that even an act of God couldn’t improve the conditions.
Wesley, of course did not believe this and set up revival meetings in this town. The town experienced HUGE revival, almost immediately atmosphere of the town completely changed. People began caring for another, they even gathered together to build a house for the orphans and widows. Wesley wrote that he attributed it God and the belief that revival was possible.

Sometimes I personally have a problem believing that the kind of revival described in Wesley’s journal is possible. The thought of Las Vegas becoming a place of revival, to the point that everyone started going to church, taking care of one another, and basically started living a Christian life is almost humorous. But as I was reading, I realized that maybe sometimes the reason we don’t have revival is because we Christians don’t think it’s possible. It’s almost as though we don’t believe that God is powerful enough to revive the unsaved people of the world. Maybe if we were to truly believe that it is possible and probable for revival to happen, it would!
This can even apply sometimes in our (at least my) prayer life. I may pray for something over and over again but I have to ask myself, do I really think that God will answer it? But then again if I don’t have faith that God will answer my prayer or give us revival, why should He do it? In I Peter 1:21 it says “that your faith and hope might be in God.” If our faith and hope for revival in anything isn’t in God, then why do we even bother asking?

I hope ya’ll are learning lots, even in school! ;)
Love in Christ,
Kristin Hanson

1 comment:

Sigma said...

You don't like English?!?! Thats the only subject out there that makes sense!!!! ;)

Ok, so you have a good point there. The problem of there not being a revival around us is mostly because we are not doing anything to create one! If we simply had the faith and the enthusiasm that Wesley had, our lives (and the lives of those around us) would be drastically changed. Your post reminded me of this verse I found in my devotions the other day. Habbakkuk 3:2- "O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy." Basically Habbakkuk is telling God that he has heard His instruction to change his ways and he wants God to give him back a passion and desire to serve Him while there is still time to do something about it! He knows he deserves to be punished severely for his lack of love for God, but he pleads with God to remember His mercy and still use him to accomplish things for God. Thats definitly a challenging verse and so was your post! I especially liked how you ended your post with that question...it was very straight to the point and thought provoking as well.

I prayed for you this morning and will keep doing so as you finish up the graduation plans and work on getting that visa. God knows best and will work things out with your best interest in mind.

Chrystal