February 18, 2008

Sounds a little to familiar. . .

Some verses are a riddle and I have to spend a lot of time figuring out what it's realy saying. Other verses, like these, are all too clear. They speak for themselves, so without further introduction, here is Isaiah 51:12-13.
"I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; 13 And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, as if he were ready to destroy? and where is the fury of the oppressor?"
Isaiah as a whole draws a huge contrast between Isreal's unfaithfulness and frailty and God's greatness. It was a good reminder that God really does control exactly what will happen in my future, not man.
Okay,I've gotta go. By the way, keep praying for Mark and Jessica. I didn't get a chance to talk to them last week, but pray that I will this week. I know what I need to say, but they need much more than I can give them, so pray that God works on their hearts. As C.S. Lewis said in The Last Battle "they are so afraid of being taken in, that they cannot be taken out."

Mike.

1 comment:

Sigma said...

I have been working through Psalms 37 for the last couple days and it pretty much says the same thing those verses do, only in different words! ;) Read verses 1-3 and then also 32-40. Very comforting verses to read. We serve an incredible God! I also love verses 25-26 where the Psalmist says "I have been young and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging for bread. He is ever merciful and lendeth; and His seed is blessed" We may not always have the nicest things in life, but God has promised that if we continue to seek Him, He will not forget about us and we will be content. (vrs. 16) Very reassuring...

I have been trying to remember Mark and Jessica in prayer. I have been thinking about what you said on Sunday about them being willing to listen to what you have to say, but them thinking about it as more of a debate and you making a good point, instead of really being willing to take it as truth and apply it to their own lives. That's frustrating to say the least, but you know, the more I thought about that, the more I realized we do the same thing over and over to God. He will show us something in His Word or through others that we think sounds really neat or we think we need to change and yet we don't take it to heart, don't apply it and soon forget about it. So thanks for the reminder that I need to actually be doing something with the things He is showing me each and every day.

Chrystal