January 5, 2008

It's ok to be Stupid

Alright, So that doesn’t exactly sound like the most logical statement that was ever made. (Especially coming from a genius...j/k…) But that is actually exactly what Paul is telling us in Romans 16: 19. Have you ever been in a conversation where your friends are talking about the latest movie and you had absolutely no clue what they were talking about? Or how about a conversation where you were discussing another religion with a Christian friend and found out you didn’t know as much as they did about that particular religion? I have. And I always feel a little bit stupid or uncomfortable in those times. However, Paul gives this verse in Romans that really helped me. “16:19- For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil” Here Paul is telling the Romans that he has heard of their obedience to the scriptures because it has become a well-known fact, and for that he is grateful. Yet, he gives them some advice that he thinks they need to hear. He says “be wise to that which is good and simple concerning that which is evil” In other words- When it comes to matters of sin, or things that aren’t important, be as ignorant as you possibly can! I have heard people say before that it is important to know all about the latest movies etc. so you can know what is wrong about them and talk intelligently about it when telling a person why it is wrong. Others have said that you need to know what other religions believe so that way when they come to you, with questions, you will know how to answer them in the best way. I personally don’t think that is true. For one thing, most religions hardly even know what they believe themselves and are constantly changing facts so that it will suit their own needs. My Dad once told me something that has really stuck with me. “Its not important to know what isn’t true, but rather to know what IS true” Go to the Bible and dig out answers, find out what you believe and why you believe it and then when somebody comes to you with questions you will be able to help them out in a far better way than you would be able to do otherwise. Don’t try to be caught up to date on what the world is offering. Stay as far away from it as possible. Ok, that’s a little bit of something I have been learning. Keep praying for me as I dig into Gods Word myself and find the answers He has for me.
Chrystal

1 comment:

JSMathiot said...

Great post Chrystal - I really enjoy reading what you folks are gleaning from the Bible - keep it up and keep looking up!

Jim Mathiot