November 21, 2007

I'm sick of sinning!

Wow! I am tired! I was up studying my sermon until 3am this morning. At 7:30am my mom came and sprayed me with water! So much for sleeping in for the holiday! 4 and a half hours just doesn't cut it for me!


I am on Psalms 42 in my devo's
This is the Psalm that talks about the hart longing for streams, and my soul longing for God. I thought it was worthy of noting the end of the chapter. The Psalmist again, like so often before, tells of his love for God and then suddenly falls into discouragement because he sins, right after he has just had a great victory!

I remember Mr Byers giving his testimony at church once and he said: 'I felt as though I struggled even more after I got saved. I was having all kinds of bad thoughts. I felt discouraged, as though maybe I wasn't for real. I talk to pastor (Lutz) about it and his words of encouragement were: "That is proof that you ARE for real. Before, you did all these things but it didn't bother you. Now, you are living for the Spirit. When you do them it bothers you so you notice your sin more."

Take encouragement from this! No, you are not happy with your sin. Yes, God is grieved. But, it is proof that the Spirit is in you!


Striving for Excellence,

John P. Dierking

1 comment:

Rebecca Motley said...

Ouch! Haha, my eyes hurt just thinking about that. Thanks for reminding me of Mr. Byers testimony, that was such an encouragement - because so often, after a good devtional time or right after camp and stuff like that, I feel bombarded with temptations and feel like I'm constantly falling. Of course those are the times that Satan is after us the most! I just want to be able to say I've had more victories over Satan than Satan has had over me. And that can ONLY with the Lord's help!!(and lots of it!!!)
'For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.' Hebrews 2:18