November 20, 2007

All things work together for good

Tonight I got home and realized that I didn't have the house key - and no one was home to let me in. So while I was waiting for my parents to get back, I went around back and sat down. At first I was thinking "this is so frustrating, I could be inside in the warmeth and be getting supper and things done." But then I thought about what I would have done had I gotten in right away - several things came to mind...and none of them included spending time in prayer and God's Word. So, instead of wasting time like I've done in the past when I've been 'locked out' (yes, this has happened before!) I spent a wonderful 20 or so minutes talking to my Lord. I had to thank God for that little 'inconvenience'. That was 20 minutes I would have spent basically wasting my time! Even though this was a minuscule instance, it was still a lesson that I can apply to bigger things, too. I need to use my time wisely and even when things happen that are unplanned, I can make the best of it by turning to the Lord for guidance!


In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. -1 Thessalonians 5:18

2 comments:

John Dierking said...

wow, thats really cool. I had an experience like that a couple weeks ago. I was taking a test in harrisburg and my mom went shopping while I was there and she picked me up when I finished... to make a long story short she picked me up and hour and a half late! while I was waiting in the parking lot I noticed a girl that was in my class who was waiting for her parents. I knew I was supposed to talk to her but, I came up with a million and one reasons not to! Finally after about 45 min I went up to her and talked to her... We never did get to spiritual things because her ride came 15 min later... It was kinda a bitter sweet feeling because: I left feeling a little ashamed because if i had talked to her immediately, I might have had the opportunity. But, I did give in eventually...

John Dierking said...

Isn't it so awesome how God provides those little times for us that we never expected to get? And for me, those are the times that I really get to know my God better because since theres nothing else to do, nothing can distract me! I had a nice time of praying on the way down to see the family this past weekend. I mean, I had 8 hours to just sit there! I didn't pray that entire time but my heart felt like I was in communion with Him the whole way down since I had time to simply dwell on Him. I loved it! I just wish we had more of those opportunities. Or maybe...just maybe... those opportunities ARE there and we just dont notice and take advantage of them like we should.
Chrystal