August 17, 2007

Deliverence!!!

My verse of the day is: Psalms 2:8
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession!

I believe this verse is not talking about literal heathen, but spiritual.

If you read the verses before, (vs. 1-3) it talks about the kings making a league together to attack Israel.

Then (vs. 4) the Bible says, “He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh…” And it continues to talk about God’s view of these people and how the Psalmest has “set (God) upon (his) holy hill of Zion.” He put God first. Then it goes into

Vs. 8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession!

Vs. 9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel!

Pastor Walters can correct me if I’m wrong about this but…

It makes sense for the Psalmest to use an analogy here. I believe the whole chapter is about spiritual warfare… The kings attacking Israel would represent our spiritual enemies… (Devil/demons)


It is neat to see that God laughs at our enemies… not because of the damage that they are doing, but it is more of a superior laugh… I can break them without thinking twice about it!

But, what did the Psalmest have to do?

Vs. 6 Yet I have set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Put God first in your heart…

And God says… I will break them with a rod of iron; I will dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel!

Wow!!! What an encouragement!!! My God can do ANYTHING!!!


This has been a midmorning challenge by,

Striving for Excellence,
John Dierking

1 comment:

Sigma said...

John,
Wow! You really thought that through. But you actually helped me understand that chapter better. And yes, It is encouraging to read chapters like that and to remind ourselves of what an awesome, powerful God we serve. It helps us to remember that we are nothing and without God would have no hope. Thanks for sharing, even tho it was a sermon!!! =) Still praying for you,
Love, Chrystal