May 8, 2009

Cut and Remove

Matt. 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. 29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
I came across this passage the other day and it stuck out to me. I know that all of us church people have heard this passage a countless number of times, but it still stuck out to me. It starts out by talking about the sin of lust/adultery. However, the principle applies to all sin. Basically the question that I keep coming up against is what action am I taking to resist temptation? I think in some ways I have disregarded the seriousness of my sin. While God knows that we won't be perfect, and is ready to forgive, he makes it very clear that we are to make no provision for the flesh but to put it completely to death.
Again, how seriously do I take my sin? Jesus uses a wonderful word picture to show us just how seriously we should take it. It is better to loose a hand or an eye and enter into heaven than to enter into hell with all your bodily members. Talk about putting something to death! I need to look at my spiritual life more like a battle zone. When you are in a battle you take a serious evaluation of your week points. The Holy Spirit helps us do this in our spiritual lives. Next you need to come up with a plan of action. You try to plan ahead so that the enemy will not be able to take advantage of that weakness, of if he does how you can combat it. Shouldn't we do the same?
When I was younger I had a bad habit of calling my brother names that really annoyed him. My dad had told us kids that we weren't supposed to call eachother names, but I had made a habit of it. I started to feel very convicted over my sin...the Holy Spirit. I made a plan of action(I think my dad actually suggested it); when I called him a name, I would pay him money.
Why is it that as I have gotten more lax in my fight against sin? Anyway, it needs to stop. Jesus makes it very clear in this passage that we need to take quick, decisive action against sin. The one other thing to keep in mind, as I said earlier, is that even though Jesus made himself very clear on this issue, He has also stated very plainly elsewhere in the bible that He will give complete forgiveness if we ask and truly repent. These two views can be very hard to hold at the same time. I want to end with a passage that I think gives a very good picture of these two views. It shows that we can know that we are forgiven but still fight with all our strength against sin.
II Cor. 7:8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. 9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Greg

No comments: