January 8, 2009

A new perspective

“People are dying and going to hell.” This is a quote that Dr. Bob III says before every chapel service. I had always thought that this was a rather morbid way to start a service and quite honestly, I always pass off this saying as an old man beating a point to the ground.
Until this morning…
My cousin called crying, to tell me that a mutual friend of ours had hung himself in his garage yesterday morning. To say the least I was shocked. He had never struck me as someone that would commit suicide. He was a senior in high school and a star football player. What would induce him to take his own life… I can’t imagine.
As I was going through all the emotions that followed, a thought suddenly hit me. He was not saved. He had apparently reached a point where he thought there was nothing worth living for… in essence he had no hope. As I thought of this another thought hit me, “in all the times that I talked to him… in all those times, I knew he wasn’t saved… and yet I never once shared the gospel with him.” I mean he knew I am a Christian and that there are things that I don’t say and do, but never once did I share the hope of Jesus Christ. I had to ask myself “WHY?!” what was I afraid of?! I knew he had issues and yet I never cared enough to share with him the true hope. I know that just my sharing the gospel with him probably wouldn’t induced him to get saved just… but the seed would have been sown again.
Anyways, if ya’ll could pray for his family. His mom died 5 years ago of cancer so it’s just his sister and dad left. And his 15 yr old sister is the one that found him so she is having a really hard time of it.

In Christ,
Kristin Hanson

2 comments:

Sigma said...

Thanks for calling me yesterday to tell me about it. It was on my mind a lot and I found myself praying for his sister Stacy the most. I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through. Do you know if she is saved? I also was praying for the Dad. You mentioned that he wasn't saved. Maybe something like this is God's way of giving him a "wake-up-call". Or maybe God wants to use this as a wake-up-call for those of us who ARE Christians and have been beating around the bush when it comes to sharing the truth with others. "God, forgive us for being so weak!!!"

You'll be in my prayers today...you can count on that.

Chrystal

Sigma said...

I do not know if his sister is saved. He use to "play" christian but in the last 2 years had started completely and openly rejecting Christ.
And i do not think his dad is saved.
Thank you for your prayers
Kristin