December 11, 2008

A few favorite verses

I like to hear other people's ideas about the Bible, but occasionally I need to just remember what God says about Himself. 1 Cor. 2:6 “That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.” (Yeah, basically I'm sparing you a rant of my own ignorance, so be thankful!! j/k) There's nothing very deep or complicated about these verses and they aren't arranged in any particular order, but the simple messages they give are the ones that mean the most to me and the ones I come back to when times get tough. Mostly this is just a continuation of the message on Sunday night, so thanks pastor for reminding me not to forget God's best promises.

Mike

Psalm 16:11 “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”

Psalm 37: 4 “Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”

John 14:3 “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”

Romans 8:38-39 “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Psalm 139:16-17 “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.”

Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.”

Psalm 73:24 “Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.”

2 Cor. 12:9 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”

Luke 2:14 “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” (I know we hear this one all the time at Christmas, but stop and consider what it means for the most high God to personally send a message declaring peace and goodwill to a race that should rightfully be His enemies. Think how many other religions and people across the ages have begged and pleaded and sacrificed for a promise such as this.)

Heb. 13:5 “ . . . He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”

1 comment:

Rachel Dierking said...

It seems like I get a new favorite verse everyday.. haha... but,
2 Cor. 12:9 is one of my favorites too... Its such a strong clear message. -We can't do anything on our own, but Christ is glorified when we turn to Him. I like to take that one with me a lot... Thanks for sharing some of you favorites!