July 9, 2008

What Happened?!?!

Have you ever had a time where everything made perfect sense to you? You knew what you needed to do in your relationship with God and you were determined to do it. You saw your true state and how weak you are. You saw how great and powerful God is and you knew you could not do anything apart from Him. You saw sin for what it really is and you were determined not to have any part in it. Basically everything was as clear as glass and you knew you were going to live your life in a way that pleased God! And then the next thing you knew you were completely confused and nothing made a bit of sense and you had no clue as to how you had fallen so hard! All you knew was that you no longer had a peace in your heart and you no longer had a zeal to do the things for the Lord (that you used to do with such a passion!) Everything seemed muddled and you knew you wanted to do the right thing but at the same time you'd lost sight as to what was important. Have you ever felt that way? I have! In fact, I feel that way a lot. Right after I get things taken care of in my relationship with God, I feel confident and energetic. I can see my purpose, the goal, and the things I need to do in order to stay there. I'm happy and content. And then BAM! Suddenly I'm confused, unhappy and discontent and I am left wondering what happened! This is the story of my life! However, during camp, the speaker at teen camp gave an illustration that hasn't left my mind for more than a day since then and I know the reason why! It perfectly describes what happens so often in my own walk with my Saviour. Here is the illustration...

A middle aged couple could be seen driving down the road one day. The husband sat in the drivers seat and kept his eyes fixed on the road ahead. The wife sat in the front seat, all the way to the right, with her arm leaning on the door and her head resting on the glass. She gazed out the window at the passing scenery. The couple drove this way for a good hour, hardly moving and without saying a word to each other. As they cruised thru town they pulled up to a stop at a red light. In front of them sat a car that was plastered with streamers and balloons. Tin cans were tied to the back of it and on the windows, written in white letters, were the words "Just Married". The wife leaned forward to look at the couple inside of the car and then sat back with a sad sort of smile. She opened her mouth for the first time on that car ride and said "Look at them! All snuggled together on the front seat! They are so in love! Remember when we used to be that way? You'd put your arm across the back of the seat and I'd be content to sit right next to you, with my head on your shoulder, and we'd just talk and talk for the whole extent of the trip; happy to simply have some "alone time" together" she paused, glanced at the gap now between them, on the seat, then said "Remember those times?" The husband nodded "Yes, I remember" He said with a sad smile to match his wifes. Then he pulled the car forward, drove through the intersection, and kept on driving. His wife looked out the window again and then gave a long sigh. She turned to look back at her husband and asked softly "Whatever happened to us talking and sitting in that way?" The husband kept his eyes on the road and as he continued to drive he replied quietly "You know...I never moved."

The application here is obvious. You wonder what happened when you fell so hard? You wonder how you became so confused? The answer is simple- You moved away from your Lord. He never left you. He never pushed you away...YOU did that to Him! He has stayed in the same spot all along, by your side, and you are the one who took your eyes and focus off of Him. Get in the right place, get the right focus and you will not find yourself falling anytime soon! Psalm 16:8 "I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved!"

Chrystal

1 comment:

Sigma said...

I am His, He is mine! Jesus knows my name. I can rest in His love, He's always the same! When I fall, when I call, Jesus takes my hand; cleansing me, lifting me, He's always the same! Always the same! Oh praise His name! Jesus never changes! He's always the same! Always together, His love is forever! Jesus never changes...He's ALWAYS the same!