May 28, 2008

Rejoicing no matter what

OK for all you wondering “Wait I thought she was gone...” yes I am still in Europe, but we are a train right now and I have something that I want to post… and this will get Chrystal off my back for not posting recently. Lol
A couple days ago, we were in Rome and saw the Caesar Shuffle as my mom likes to call it (Coliseum, Forum ruins, and Pantheon) and while all of these were awesome and wonderful something else sticks out in my mind. My mom had heard that there was a prison near the Coliseum that supposedly Paul and Peter had been kept in, and she really wanted to see it. To be honest, I wasn’t that excited about seeing a prison but we all figured why not?! Well this was not just any prison… she was right it was where Peter and Paul had been kept at one point. Now I am not sure when or what the story is there because I can’t find the story in my New Testament (I hate it when I wanna find something and cant!!! It is MOST annoying when I can’t find something just because I don’t have the right materials lol) But I am going to try my best to describe the prison to you, my reason for doing so I will explain at the end.
The entire prison is underground; basically it’s a very large hole in the ground. In the time of the Romans prisoners were lowered into it on a rope through a hole in the top that is probably only wide enough for my mom or I to get through. (now a door has been dug in from the side so you can walk in) It is about 30 feet from the top of the (for lack of a better word) cave to the floor. So imagine being lowered into this pitch black hole and you cant see the bottom. Once you reach the floor there is a set of stairs carved in so you can reach the bottom level. This bottom room is maybe 18 ft wide and not tall enough for my dad and Erik to stand. Here tons of prisoners would be kept (its not sure how many but lets just say it wouldn’t meet the Geneva Conventions standards) and chained to a pole. It was in a prison like this that Peter and Paul sang and praised God.
While we were actually in the prison I didn’t think too much about it, but as the day went on and I looked back at pictures it struck me how completely depressing it must have been to be imprisoned there. There is literally NO way out! Unless someone pulls you out. Yet… Peter and Paul REJOICED! They were chained to a stone pole in literally a hole in the ground after being beaten with no light, food, or way of escape and they rejoiced!!!
I say all this to point out that no matter how bad we think things are we will probably NEVER have to suffer like that… so how can I possibly ever complain or not trust God to take care of me when he took care of Paul and Peter in such HORRIBLE conditions?
I will stop writing my book now… Hope ya’ll are doing well!
Kristin Hanson

P.S. Chrystal or Rachel if i made any grammatical or spellings errors please fix them for me I dont have time now... thank you dears

3 comments:

Sigma said...

WOW, that is awesome.Let me tell ya, if I was in that prison, I would be complaning left and right.It's so cool that God wiil always help us through hard times. That must have felt so cool,being where Peter and Paul were imprisoned.Well, Have fun in Europe and we'll see all of you guys when you all get back. Thanks for the post.
Zach

Sigma said...

Wow! You're able to write on the train?! I'm gonna have to to start bugging you more about not posting! ;) Just Kidding! For once you actually have a valid excuse! Sounds like you have been learning a lot over there...thats great! Hope the Acts study has been going well for you. I'm looking forward to getting into that myself...that is, as soon as I finish up all the other millions of books I am trying to get through right now! ;) Anyways, I prayed for you today. Enjoy your time with your family, because (not to be a rain cloud or anything but...) you don't have too terribly much time with them left! Miss you and will have to catch up with you in the middle of June...ttyl...

Pray for me too while I am at camp. I'm going to need it!

Chrystal
1 Timothy 4:15-16 (really good verses I came across the other day...)

Rachel Dierking said...

You want ME to fix grammar mistakes??????? that is a mistake right there!!!!! lol....
can't wait for you to get back!
Love you infinity... - I WIN!!!!! HAHA!