March 19, 2008

He will direct; we must walk.

I've been reading 'Strengthen My Spirit' in the mornings before work. It's a daily devotional that has selections from sermons by Charles Spurgeon. I wanted to share one of them with you all. They all have been good, but this one applies pretty well to my life as of late. The verse that goes with it is:
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. -Psalm 37:23

"He who walks does not need to think of directing his own steps, for there is One who will direct them for him. What if sin persuades us to take the wrong path and if poor judgement makes us err through oversight? There is no need for us to choose our own fate, but we may bow before the Lord and say, "You shall choose our inheritance for us." The choice is difficult for you: do not choose your own way, but leave it to Him who sees the end from the beginning and who is sure to make the wise choice. The burden of life is heavy -- do not try to carry it, but "cast your burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain you. Commit your way unto the Lord; trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." Do not let it be your choice, let it be God's choice.
If only we could but once abandon our own choosing and say to the Lord, "Not as I will, but as You will." how much more happy we could be! We should not be troubled by the thought that we should not direct our own steps, but we should be glad because our very weakness entitles us to cry to the Lord, "Now that I will not direct my own way, what I do not know; teach me." "

It was a good reminder to me that I can quit trying to hold everything together and figure it all out right away by myself. It's not my life anyway, it's the Lord's! "Now that I've given you my heart, soul, life, and will, lead me in Your timing, and Your way!"

2 comments:

Sigma said...

Becca,
Thank you so much for that post! It really helped me out today. I try things my own way, so often, and you'd think I'd have learned by now that it doesn't work! Casting ALL your care upon Him....for HE CARETH FOR YOU! Wow. I have really been hit lately with the love that God has for me. I am so thankful that I can completely trust Him to take care of my needs, my wants, my hurts, my life. He has a plan for EVERYTHING that He allows us to go through and that has been a comfort to me many times. I found these verses the other day and I thought they might encourage you as much as they encouraged me. Revelation 3:7b-8 "These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth, and shutteth and no man openeth. I know thy works; behold, I have set before thee an open door and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." Aren't those such great verses!? God has promised that He has a plan for us. And nobody/nothing is going to stop it from happening. If God opens a door for us, no one can shut it! Yes, our faith and strength may be small, but if we continue to come back and cling to Him, He will be our guide. Anyways, thanks again for the post. I prayed for you after I read it.
Chrystal

Rebecca Motley said...

Wow, those verses are such an encouragement to me! Thank you SO much for sharing them. "I have set before thee an open door and no man can shut it:" What an amazing promise! "for thou hast a little strength and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." I like how the verse is reminding us that it isn't through our strength that we are able to follow God's Word and keep His commandments. We have only a small amount of strength - certainly not enough to live a Godly life on our own! I am so filled with gratitude for the wonderful promises of God. I know that as long as I walk according to God's Word - He will direct me in the way that I should go! Thanks again for the encouragement. I miss you! I hope you're having a tolerable time down there. ;) I've been praying for you! Happy Easter - He is Risen! :)