January 14, 2008

A Perfect and Upright Man

Since i finished Romans (which for the record was REALLY good and i you haven't studied it you should!) I decided to start the book of Job. My mom had told me it was a really good book about faith and keeping a good testimony through hard trials. And as I start it, I wish i would have studied this book years ago! One of the things that's really cool about this book is that it seems as though the author was basically taking dictation from God!!! Because it seriously sounds God is narrating the story!!!

In Job 1:1 it says "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." After i read this verse i literally stopped and was in awe! Like i said earlier this book is written like a narrative from God. So God just called Job a "perfect and upright" man! What a testimony!!!!! Whats more God says that a total of 3 times between the first and second chapters. From previous studies I kinda have figured that when God says something more than once, He REALLY wants you to get the picture!!! Then in 1:8 God tells Satan that there is NONE like him! Then i had to think to myself "would God call me a perfect and upright woman that eschews evil?" (by the way in case you are like me and don't exactly know what the word "eschews" means. It means to "frighten off, or habitually avoid".) Of course i had to answer no.

Later in the chapter you see Satan talking to God about Job. And Satan is convinced that Job would curse if Job had some bad things happen to him. But what was interesting to me about this passage was that Satan had to ask God's PERMISSION to go after Job. I had never really thought about it but it makes sense that Satan would have to ask God to do anything to us because we are His children! That was SO encouraging to me!

Ok one more thing and I'll quit writing this book :) Satan goes and has all of Job's livestock, servants, and children killed. So basically in one day Job loses everything.
Yet, in 1:20 it says "Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and WORSHIPPED." OK! I must ask, if you or i were to lose EVERYTHING in one day, would your/my first response be to fall down and WORSHIP God?!?!? If you can answer yes please teach me how! His prayer of worship is "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away: BLESSED be the name of the Lord" What an INCREDIBLE testimony Job had!!!

Well I know this is really long but i have been learning alot!
Love in Christ,
Kristin Hanson

2 comments:

Rebecca Motley said...

As I read your post, I started to wonder..."How did Job's incredible faith get so strong??" Think about it...This was long before the 'Age of Grace' and it seems like Job had not gone through a whole lot of temptations/losses etc. before or else why would Satan say that Job would curse God if he had bad things happen to him? So how did Job withstand all of the things that Satan tempted him with without turning his back on God? Here we are - we live in the age of Grace, so much more has been revealed to us through the Word of God, and yet our faith is so weak! I don't know anyone (much less myself) who could withstand such tragidies befalling them. What an excellent example Job was. I'm SO thankful for the wonderul testimonies of so many men and women in God's Word who can still encourage, convict and edify us today!

Sigma said...

So you decided to go ahead and do Job huh? That is a really good book and I look forward to hearing more of what you are learning ;) About Satan having to go to God first and asking permission about testing Job...That reminds me of a really good quote I found during the death of a close friend of mine and I sort of claimed it as my life quote at the time. David Jeremiah once said "There is nothing, no circumstance, no trouble, no testing that can ever touch me. Until first of all it has come past God, and past Christ, right thru to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose!" The hard part comes in remembering that! But its like we were talking about on Sat. night...Jobs entire family was killed, his house was burned, his friends rejected him and his body broke out in boils, and yet...he remained faithful to God and never once complained! Wow! Now I'm starting to think I need to go do a study of my own on Job!! j/k...Anyways, good post! It gives me a lot to think about.
Chrystal

P.S. For the umpteenth time would you stop apologizing for writing books?! You make me feel guilty for writing a comment that is almost just as long as your post! lol..