January 2, 2008

Charged for God

Today in my devotions I read the last half of Romans 12 and there were a TON a verses that jumped out at me. But since I don't want to write a book on here I think I'll only share two.

In verse 11 it says "Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord." Now I have had this verse memorized for years because of school, but I had never really thought about what it means. Of course the first part of the verse is talking about not being lazy in what you do. But the "fervent in spirit" part kinda confused me. I mean how exactly are you "fervent in spirit"? So I looked up the word fervent in the thesaurus and it came up with the synonyms; ardent, blazing, burning, charged, emotional, fervid, feverish, fiery, flaming, glowing, hot-blooded, impassioned, passionate, red-hot, vehement, warm, warm-blooded.
After I put these words in the verse it took on a whole new meaning! It literally says "burning/charged/passionate in spirit; serving the Lord." So then I had to think to myself, am I passionate/charged/burning to serve God? Not as much as I should be.

Then in vs 12 it says "Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer."
'Continuing instant in prayer" was the part that really stuck out to me. Paul is saying that in any situation we should instantly go to prayer. I confess that when something bad happens my immediate response isnt to fall on my knees, so this is something I definity need to work on.

Ok I know I said I wasn't going to write a book, so I just wrote a chapter ;-)
Love in Christ,
Kristin

1 comment:

Sigma said...

Oh I know! I loved Chapter 12! In fact, that is the chapter I picked to memorize from Romans. I haven't gotten very far in it yet, but I know it will be helpful once I get it all down because the whole chapter gives a lot of instruction on how we are to live our lives in a way that pleases Christ and draws others to Him. Thanks for sharing the definition of fervent. I don't think I looked that word up when I went through chapter 12 and hearing some synonyms of it really helped me to get a better idea of what it really means.
Chrystal

BTW- I don't mind reading books ;)