December 27, 2007

Fervent Heart's Desire

Haha! I found a computer that works with the blog!!!! Ok that's irrelevant, anyways..

I think i am a lil behind everybody in Romans because i took a quick break to study something else for about a week, but i learned SO much this morning that i had to share!
In chapter 10:1 it says "Brethren, My heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved." Well while i was reading the verse the words "my heart's desire" caught my eye. Paul's heart's desire, in other words his most dear wish, was for people to be saved. Now for me, yes i want people to get saved, yes i try to witness when "i can", but its not "my heart's desire". Others being saved isn't my most dear wish. And that really hit me, because others being saved SHOULD be my heart's desire. Paul kinda says this later in the chapter in verses 14-15 where is says;

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring good tidings of good thing!"

When i thought about it Paul is so right! I mean if its not my heart's desire to share God's words with others, i am not going to preach/witness to others. I am not going to go out and share His good news with the unsaved. So the in the end, part of the good news of Christ ends with me because i am not willing to share it with others!

Another thing that i saw this morning was in verse 3 its talking about how the Jews had "established their own righteousness". And when i thought about it the Jews had set up a rigid system of traditions. Everything they did was regulated by the tradition they had in "the law". Even though alot of the things Jewish people practice aren't in the law.
Well i thought to myself "well i dont have a problem with that, we dont have traditions that we just do". But then the thought stuck me that sometimes we (or at least i) do. Like when i go to pray before a meal, i wish i could say that i always think about what i am saying and who i am talking to, but i dont. When i play a offertory or singing in the choir, i wish i could say that i am thinking about the words that i am singing/playing to God, but i dont. Most of the time during a offertory i am more worried about messing up! ;-)
So while praying before a meal, singing in choir, and playing in church are all good things, if i dont do them with the right heart attitude, its like "establishing my own righteousness".

Well anyways thats a little bit of what i learned this morning. I hope the rest of you are learning as much as I am!
Love in Christ,
Kristin Hanson

2 comments:

Sigma said...

Ah! I remember those verses! Good stuff! I also like the verse in Romans 1:1 where Paul calls himself an apostle. I looked up the word apostle in the dictionary and it means “a person sent on a special mission”. When I first read that it gave me a whole new perspective and I thought it was really cool that Pauls mission in life was to spread the gospel!!!! (It makes him sound like a secret agent or something) Then Paul goes on to say in Romans 1:5 that we who are saved have received apostleship too. And then it didn’t sound quite so cool, because I realized I too have a special mission in life and I am failing miserable at filling it! Most of the time I only share Christ if I “feel” like it and that is not how it should be! That is definitely something you can pray for me about. Pray that I wont just SAY I will work on it but that I actually WILL work on it! God has been prodding me about this recently and I just need the courage to do it! Thanks for the reminder that I need to get busy!
Praying for you,
Chrystal
p.s. And no.. I am not going to apologize for the rather lengthy comment! ;)

Rachel Dierking said...

Hey! It's good to hear what you've been learning! i miss you guys, and your encouragement. I don't have to terribly much time to have devo's, but they have been good. I love reading from my utmost for his highest! even when you have like 10 min. it still gives you so much to think about. I am sure that i am way behind you all in the romans study, but like i said I don't really have time to go thru that right now. anyways. I pray for you whenever i get the chance!
Love ya!!