September 23, 2007

Coming Out!

I've been doing a six-week bible study on James, and it has been an excellent help in digging deeper into James. It's been pretty cool actually, with studying that book earlier this year and having Sunday School lessons and messages taught on James that there is still so much to learn. The past few days I've been studying James 2:14-26. Here is what it says:
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Now obviously, I have heard and read this passage so many times before. But it made such an impact on me this time when I read it. I think it's because I've been realizing lately how true it really is. Being a Christian is more than just asking forgiveness for our sins and knowing that we're going to heaven someday. Jesus didn't die for me so that I could accept His gift of Salvation and then just sit like a wart on a witch's nose! I need to be living what I believe! And being a witness to those who don't know about the Truth. I'm sick of being lukewarm. I'm sick of being scared. Making sure I stay within my comfort zone just isn't worth it in the end. In fact, I'm just not comfortable being 'comfortable' anymore. And I thank God for that, but I have to admit that I haven't been able to get past the fear part yet. So pray for me. Because I'm really going to be trying to live out my faith - whoever I'm with and wherever I am.

Becca

3 comments:

John Dierking said...

Becca,
Praying for you all the time!! And will continue to do so...thanks for the post! was very encouraging!
Rachel

John Dierking said...

Sprinkle,
thanks sooooo much for posting! =) I really enjoyed reading all those James verses again. Brought back good memories and they also reminded me of things I've learned. Youre right too. Sometimes we think that because were saved and have our "ticket to heaven" theres nothing else we need to do. But seriuosly, how selfish is that? We get salvation free and all we had to do was accept it and then we aren't willing to share it with anyone else. And by sharing, I dont simple mean telling other people about salvation, tho that is really important. I also mean "sharing" through the way we live our lives and the way we show people we care about them. God has given us so much and yet so many times we are grumpy and give little thought to the people/family/friends with needs around us. Its the "keeping a clean mirror" thing again that we heard at that rally. Our reflection of Christ needs to be clear through the way we act and live. Ok, now that I have only elaborated more on what you were saying and posted a really long comment, I must go...=) Love ya and do I even need to say I am praying for you? Thats a given! =)
Chrystal (cheddar)
P.S. btw...the wart on the nose comment made me laugh because it was so random but it actually was a good illustration...

John Dierking said...

Hmmm... thanks for the sermon!!! But really, It was a great reminder... I am praying for you!

John